What is Advocacy?
Advocacy or a child advocate refers to a range of individuals, professionals, and advocacy organizations that speak out on the best interests of children. A special education advocate works on behalf of the student and their family to help obtain the most appropriate services for that student. Granite Bay Speech is happy to assist you as a special education advocate; this is not a legal advocate.
What is a Legal Advocate?
A legal advocate is an attorney. They can give you legal advice, represent you in a legal capacity and prepare legal documents in a dispute.
When is it Helpful For Parents to Seek an Advocate?
Many parents find themselves feeling overwhelmed by all the decisions they need to make for their child’s communication, emotional, behavioral, physical, medical, sensory and social needs. Parents are faced with educational placement options, a choice of teachers, Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meetings, and classroom accommodations. Maybe you’re in a position where you are given so many options that you need help deciding which route to take. Maybe you’re at the other end of the spectrum and you know there are more opportunities and services needed for your child, but you need some help finding appropriate resources.
Both situations are perfectly normal… at Granite Bay Speech, we are here to help you do what is best for your family and your child.
What Granite Bay Speech Can Offer You
Our Director, Nancy Barcal, M.A. CCC-SLP has nearly 40 years of experience as a Speech Language Pathologist. Prior to arriving in California, she worked in schools and hospitals in Illinois, including the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Nancy has experience as a therapist and as a home school educator treating language, communication, and learning disabilities. Nancy’s passion is helping individuals of all ages find their hidden learning potential in all areas of communication.
At Granite Bay Speech, we are trained to assist you…
- Review and/or prepare for your child’s IEP or 504 plan
- Attend IEP and 504 meetings with you to help find solutions
- Guide you in negotiations with the school
- Advise you on the appropriate services and support level for your child
- Apprise you regarding your child’s special education rights
- Recommend appropriate specialists, service providers and other professionals that may be helpful in your situation
- Assist in writing letters to the school
- Granite Bay Speech will help you find legal resources in the community if you need an attorney to give you legal advice and representation
Why Choose Granite Bay Speech?
Our director Nancy Barcal, M.A. CCC-SLP is available for consultations by phone or in the office. She offers guidance with no long term commitments. She is happy to provide short or long term support as your family navigates decisions about communication and learning.