From the depths of hopelessness to heights of redemption, these stories will change how you view stuttering. “When I Stutter…” is a movie which depicts a wide variety of people who stutter. The audience has the opportunity to see and hear individuals as they share their stories about how stuttering has impacted their lives. From avoiding their name and living in silence, to speaking with confidence. We believe that more awareness can and will make a positive difference in the lives of those that stutter and the community. We appreciate the time and effort John Gomez devoted to create this incredible movie; knowledge is power. Sharing the truth about stuttering dispels myths and bullying and fosters compassion and understanding! Help Granite Bay Speech promote this amazing movie! Keep checking our website https://www.granitebayspeech.com to read updates about a movie screening of “If I Stutter…” in Roseville, CA during the summer of 2017!
Tips to effectively communicate with people who stutter (PWS):
- Do not make remarks like: “Slow down,” “Take a breath,” or “Relax.” Such simplistic advice can be felt as demeaning.
- Listen attentively and respond to what he or she says — not how they say it. Telephone conversations may be especially difficult for PWS.
- Use natural eye contact, wait patiently until the person is finished talking.
- Do not finish sentences or fill in words for the person who stutters.
- Speak calmly using pauses and an upbeat, pleasant tone of voice. Smile.