We are excited to feature this blog on the Granite Bay Speech website written by our colleague and friend, Kathie E. Ekemo, Ph.D. CA Licensed Psychologist PSY29127. Dr. Kathie Ekemo specializes in psychological evaluations for children, adolescents and adults.
Children with attention difficulties may:
- Have a short attention span or difficulty paying attention
- Be distracted or have trouble focusing if there is a lot of noise around
- Be fidgety
- Be easily frustrated
- Have negative feelings about school or difficulty with academic performance.
These symptoms of inattention are shared by multiple disorders, and
may be the result of:
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- A visual processing disorder
- Sensory integration difficulties
- Language Disorders
- A central auditory processing disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Various medical conditions/syndromes or injuries (e.g. brain injury)
- Learning disability (attention)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Other causes
A psychologist can help parents to figure out any difficulties that may be causing attentional problems, as well as providing treatment recommendations. These screenings typically include checklists, and/or testing. Once the source/s of the attentional problems are identified, Kathie Ekemo, Ph.D and Granite Bay Speech coordinate treatment to benefit clients and achieve better outcomes. Many auditory challenges, for example, can be assessed and are successfully treated by a speech language pathologist. Care may also be coordinated with your medical doctor, a visual therapist or occupational therapist.
We would be happy to answer any of your questions!
Please feel free to contact Kathie E. Ekemo, Ph.D. at 425-308-7982 or message Kathie through www.Psychologytoday.com
You may also contact Nancy Barcal M.A. CCC-SLP at Granite Bay Speech at 916-797-3307 or visit the website at https://www.granitebayspeech.com